Yesterday, House Republicans are expected to discuss and may vote lifting the ban on earmarks. This vote follows a robust discussion held last week on the issue. Yesterday The U.S. Department of Labor announced a Summer Data Challenge competition, created for scholars to research and analyze federal labor policies, protections and programs in their reach among traditionally underserved communities. For additional information on the funding award opportunity, click here.
Additionally, the U.S. Department of Labor issued new guidance to state workforce agencies on implementing American Rescue Plan Act unemployment insurance (UI) provisions. The full document can be found here. Isabel Guzman has been confirmed as Administrator to the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA).
Happening on the Hill
…Committee on Small Business HAS POSTPONED a hybrid hearing titled The Interaction Between the Paycheck Protection Program and Federal Acquisition Rules: What it Means for Government Contractors.
…Committee on Small Business will hold a virtual hearing on The Interaction Between the Paycheck Protection Program and Federal Acquisition Rules: What it Means for Government Contractors on March 23 at 12:00 PM.
…Committee on Financial Services will hold a virtual hearing on How Diversity Data Can Measure Commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Today at 12:00 PM.
…Committee on Financial Services will hold a virtual hearing on Oversight of the Treasury Department’s and Federal Reserve’s Pandemic Response on March 23 at 12:00 PM.
…Committee on Appropriations will hold a virtual hearing on the Rural Economy on Wednesday, March 24 at 2:00 PM.
…Committee on Ways and Means Subcommittee on Oversight will hold a virtual hearing with the IRS Commissioner on the 2021 Filing Season Today at 2:00 PM.
…Committee on Energy and Commerce will hold a virtual hearing on LIFT America: Revitalizing our Nation’s Infrastructure and Economy on Monday, March 22 at 11:00 AM.
…Committee on Energy and Commerce will hold a virtual hearing on The CLEAN Future Act: Powering a Resilient and Prosperous America on Wednesday, March 24 at 2:00 PM.
…Committee on Finance will hold a virtual hearing on How U.S. International Tax Policy Impacts American Workers, Jobs, and Investment on Tuesday, March 23 at 10:00 AM.
Bills of Interest
- Rep. Tom Rice (R-SC-7) introduced a bill to provide a tax credits for certain expenses associated with protecting employees from COVID-19.
- Rep. Joe Neguse (D-CO-2)introduced a bill to require the Comptroller General to evaluate and issue a report on the structural and economic impacts of climate resiliency at the Federal Emergency Management Agency, including recommendations on how to improve the building codes and standards that the Agency uses to prepare for climate change and address resiliency in housing, public buildings, and infrastructure such as roads and bridges.
- Rep. Jamaal Bowman (D-NY-16)introduced a bill to include broadband as a utility that tenants residing in federally assisted housing can have subsidized by the Federal Government.
- Rep. Mike Bost (R-IL-12)introduced a bill to amend title II of the Higher Education Act of 1965 with respect to partnership grants for the establishment of rural teaching residency programs.
- Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-MA)introduced a bill making emergency supplemental appropriations for the fiscal year ending September 30, 2021.
- Sen. Mark Warner (D-VA)introduced a bill to provide that certain rules and guidance related to waivers for State innovation under the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act shall have no force or effect.
- Sen. John Barrasso (R-WY)introduced a bill to support financing of affordable and reliable energy projects by international financial institutions.
At the Agencies
U.S. Department of Labor
The U.S. Department of Labor announced funding for research to study equity in underserved communities.
The U.S. Department of Labor issued new guidance to states on implementing American Rescue Plan Act unemployment insurance provisions.
U.S. Department of the Treasury
The Department of the Treasury announces key staff appointments.